"True wine enthusiasts don’t collect wines.
They collect memories of wines shared with friends and family."

-Dario Zucconi

Monday, October 7, 2013

Honey Baked Chicken with Apricots and Olives


Today's post is about those weeknight, make-ahead dinners! As you know, I love food. I love delicious food. I love to create savory and memorable food. And, when I am able to create delicious dishes during the week while spending time with my family or taking care of the things that need to get done on those school/work nights, I am beyond grateful.

As a working mom, it's a constant challenge balancing work demands and making sure my family eats healthy everyday. So, I am constantly trying to think of ways to prepare make-ahead meals that don't require me spending hours in the kitchen (although, the kitchen is one of my favorite places in the house), but that my whole family can enjoy. Sundays are usually my "planning" day when I think of what dishes I can make during the week (or prepare ahead of time and finish up when I get home from work).

Tonight, I made a chicken dish that is beyond delicious! And, the best part is: It was very low maintenance. I call it "Honey Baked Chicken with Apricots and Olives"

Here is a rough recipe that I came up with yesterday:

Ingredients:
Chicken thighs (8-10 pieces, bone-in, skin-on)
Fresh cilantro (chopped, about 2 Tablespoons)
Fresh  Italian Parsley (chopped, about 2 Tablespoons)
Fresh green onions (chopped, about 1 Tablespoon)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 lemon (juice of 1/2 of the lemon squeezed into a large bowl, remainder sliced)
1 Tablespoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
Pinch of sweet paprika
1/2 cup of dried apricots
1/2 cup of dried raisins
1/2 cup of green olives 
1/2 cup of white wine
2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Directions
Rinse the chicken under lukewarm water and lay flat on a baking sheet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. 

In the large bowl with the lemon juice, add the honey, fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, green onions),  garlic, honey, onion powder, garlic powder, ground ginger, cumin, and paprika, and the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. 

Add the chicken pieces, and coat the chicken well with the herb mixture. Put the chicken and the mixture in a large ziploc bag, and store in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours (up to 24 hours). This allows the marinade to penetrate the chicken pieces and enhance the flavor. 

When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Arrange the chicken pieces (skin sides up) in a large baking dish (Pyrex or ceramic works well). Add the juices and herbs from the ziploc bag (discard the lemon pieces). Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes (or until you have a nice even brown color on the skins of the chicken pieces).  Take the baking dish out if the oven. 

Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees. Sprinkle the apricots, raisins, and olives around the chicken pieces. Add the wine over the chicken. Continue baking for about 45 minutes (enough time to check the kids' homework,  help them with their baths, or soak in a bubble bath yourself). 

Remove the chicken from the oven. You should have a dish of beautifully browned chicken with flavors that are about to explode in your mouth.  Serve the chicken with steamed rice (if you like) and your favorite vegetables. Depending on how many chicken thighs you made, you should have some leftovers for at least another dinner during the week. 

I hope you have wonderful (reduced stress) week.  Until next time . . . Cheers!

ZinAdel

No comments:

Post a Comment