"True wine enthusiasts don’t collect wines.
They collect memories of wines shared with friends and family."

-Dario Zucconi

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Who Says Chicken Is Boring? This Portuguese Chicken Dish Is Anything But!


 
Today's post is about a little bit of planning ahead and a lot of flavorful ingredients packed into a pot to enjoy a delicious weeknight meal for your family at the end of a long, hard day at work.

Today, I had one of those non-stop, never-ending, adrenaline-rush types of days.  Anyone with small kids knows that the house may not always be the most peaceful place to be after you've had a crazy day at work.  But, I usually find that my evening's tempo changes during the first five minutes when I walk into the door.  No matter how bad of a day I have had, the reception I get form my children usually changes my mood instantly.  

Tonight, when I pulled into the garage, I was welcomed by the most amazing aromas emanating from fresh herbs (such as Bay leaves and parsley), pearl onions and garlic, sweet paprika, Tawny Port, and dijon mustard.  Then, I opened the door, my three little kittens gave me the best welcome hugs that any mom could ask for.  I then lifted off the foil covering the platter of the most enticingly beautiful-looking chicken.  I, of course, took a little taste.  I literally felt that I somehow had been transported into heaven on earth.  In my mouth was the most delicious chichen dish that I have ever tasted.  This was courtesy of a Bon Appetit recipe that I found over the weekend: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/02/portuguese_chicken


I prepared all the ingredients this morning before I went to work.  I put everything in a dutch oven pot and placed the pot in the refrigerator. Our fabulous Au Pair, Ten, put it in the oven for us 2 hours before I got home.  The dish was so flavorful.  We served it with steamed rice and a roasted corn salad.  Our daughter absolutely loved the chicken, especially the sauce (which she kept saying was tasty). For an 8-year-old picky eater to say something was "tasty", that was a successful dish in my book.

NOTE: This is also a perfect dish to make on a Sunday, and save the leftovers for the week.  

Patrick and I enjoyed a glass of a Reserve Malbec from Argentina (Graffigna Centenario 2008), which I had picked up from Costco for $9. It was a delicious pairing with the chicken. It tasted like a Merlot-type blend - easy to drink, smooth, with mild tannins, and not overpowering.  For this hearty chicken dish, you could pair any wine that you like, including a Cabernet.
 
Until next time . . . Cheers! ZinAdel

No comments:

Post a Comment